Friday, June 6, 2008

VNC Viewer

VNC Viewer is always a pain to setup. To connect to a Windows box from Fedora 9 follow my RDP instructions.
To connect to a Fedora 9 box from Windows (XP) is a little more difficult. I first tried my VNC setup from Fedora 7 but ended up with a grey desktop with a black X for the mouse pointer and nothing else. Then I found THESE INSTRUCTIONS for using VNC with XINETD and I must say they are excellent! You may need to first do the VNC setup, then the XINETD setup, or you may not. Thats just the way that it worked out for me.

Update: I have found that with Fedora 9 all you actually have to do to set up VNC is go to SYSTEM ->PREFERENCES ->INTERNET and NETWORK ->Remote Desktop, and follow the instructions there. You may also have to open the port in IPTABLES.

No comments: